Sunday, June 20, 2010

Stranded


What was supposed to be a day-long fishing trip to Ranguana Caye turned into an overnight stay when our boat broke down. That's right, we were stranded on a very small island. This is not a bad thing. We had essentials such as food and rum punch. Plus, Ranguana has some cabins to stay in and a cooking area. There is a guy who stays out on the island to manage everything.



It was difficult to pass the time, but I managed.

This was my first nap of the day.


There were hermit crabs everywhere and they were fun to play with. They are called soldier crabs in Belize.



Grilling the food we hunted....out of the cooler.


There were many pelicans around this caye.


Some of the cute little cabins.


I hooked a HUGE fish. This thing was strong. I spent at least thirty minutes trying to reel it in. It was woman versus nature. I fought the fish. He fought back. It was a pretty intense battle. Neither party wanted to give in. I was sweating profusely as I do every day here. I was so excited the entire time I was reeling in this fish. I kept thinking about the awesome story I would have to tell everybody and the pictures I would get with my prize catch. Until finally... I ran out of line. The fish took all of the line on my reel. Devastation was stamped across my face. Fish-1 Evin-0. Luckily, there was rum punch to console me.


I am smiling because I thought I was winning the battle. Little did I know the fish had other plans.



Help came early the next morning. Not a bad place to be stranded.

1 comment:

  1. Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale..
    a tale of a fateful trip...
    It started from a tropic port..
    aboard a tiny ship.

    The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
    And Evin brave and sure,
    five passengers set sail that day,
    for a three hour tour,
    a three hour tour...

    It takes too long to look up all the lyrics, but from now on, I'll call you little buddy, just like the Skipper called Gilligan.

    ReplyDelete