Monday, June 7, 2010

Deliciousness




This is at De' Tatch and I'm fixing to get after that burrito.




Fry Jacks!


Breakfast Burrito!

Conch Ceviche!

Yum!

I'm loving the food here. The Belizean national meal is rice and beans and stewed chicken. In the states, we typically eat a big supper. Here, the noon meal is the heaviest. Instead of calling it breakfast, lunch and supper, they say "Tea, dinna, tea."

I have gotten to pick and eat oranges, grapefruits, mangos, and bananas, of course. The oranges and grapefruits grown here are grown for juicing, so they are nice and juicy. I ate my first mango at the farm. A little girl brought it to me. She didn't speak English and she just said "Mango. Gringa." For mangos that are unripe, they are peeled, cut up and eaten dipped in a mixture of salt, ground pepper and hot sauce. Not my favorite but I'm coming around. Bananas are also eaten unripe sometimes. They are peeled, sliced and deep fried with seasoned salt. Sounds weird but it is like eating potato chips. Delightful!

I don't like seafood, but the other night I tried conch ceviche and it wasn't bad. Another common dish is fry jacks which is pretty much fried dough. I love me some fry jacks. Most people here eat them with beans, but I put butter or jelly on them or just eat them plain.

There is a man who works on the street here in Mango Creek who sells fruit and flavored ice out a cart that is attached to a bicycle. The flavored ice is basically a snow cone so it very refreshing on the warm days. The flavor I get is cola and almond with cream on top.

In Placencia there is a restaurant called De' Tatch (The Thatch) and they have excellent food. When I had supper there I had chicken with mango sauce and coconut rice which I love. For breakfast one morning I had an amazing breakfast burrito with hashbrowns. And fry jacks.


Flavored Ice

Fried Bananas with seasoned salt. I can't stop eating these little pieces of heaven.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! Get the recipes! You may want to put together a IH cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally do an International Harvester cookbook. I'll contribute some recipes from Italy. And bring me back some of those bananas. I am shocked that you ate ceviche.

    ReplyDelete