Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chemical Application


To maintain the health of the banana plant, it is important to use herbicides, insecticides and fungicides. Perhaps the most threatening disease to the banana industry is Sigatoka, which affects the leaf. The health of the leaf is essential to the rest of the plant. Crop dusting is the technique used to prevent Sigatoka. I got to tour the mixing station for the chemicals and see the planes.


The crop dusting plane

Grasses grow around the banana plants and compete for nutrients. So, teams of workers spray the grasses with herbicide as needed. I got to participate. I had to put on white coveralls, boots, a mask and gloves so I wouldn't get the chemical on my skin. The coveralls were a few sizes too big and my boss told me I looked like the Michelin Man.


I decided to accessorize my coveralls with blue polka dotted rain boots. It gives them a needed splash of color.


I felt like I was going to fall over backwards when they put the sprayer on my back.


It is very important not to let the grass get out of control.


Striking a pose with the other sprayers

2 comments:

  1. You are the most attractive sprayer. I think it's the boots that give you the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wear those coveralls well.

    ReplyDelete